Sunday, March 29, 2009

Lion House Meat Loaf


This is my first experience making meat loaf. I never really liked it as a kid. The whole idea of baked meat just grossed me out. I recently found out that Mr. P loves meat loaf. Who knew? In my quest to become the best wife I can, I started my search for a meat loaf recipe. I found one in a Lion House cook book that we received as a wedding gift. I knew that if it came from Lion House, I had to try it. The sauce called for tomato soup instead of ketchup, and that made all the difference for me. The "loaf" part of the recipe didn't turn out so well, I'm not sure where I went wrong with that. It turned out to be a big crumbly mess, but in the end.. it turned out all right. I highly recommend this recipe. Delish!

Lion House Meat Loaf (Courtesy of Lion House Recipes)

½ c. chopped onions
1 can (10-1/2 oz) tomato soup
¼ c. water
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 dash pepper
2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Make sauce: Spray a frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and preheat briefly on the stove. Add onions and saute until tender. Stir in tomaot soup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper; simmer a few minutes to blend flavors.

Make meat loaf: Mix ground beef, salt, eggs, and half the sauce until well blended. Mold into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours. Remove from oven and allow to stand for about 10 min. Serve with remaining sauce. Makes 10 servings.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, same thing with my hubby. He loves meatloaf too! I never knew. I will try this. Also, I made the bacon wrapped smokies and they were a hit!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. Just so you know, I am nearly positive that you are missing the crackers/bread on this recipe. When I find my lion house cookbook, I will confirm that. But for now, thanks for having this online!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. This recipe is missing 1/4 c. of breadcrumbs and 1 egg. It should be 3 eggs.

      Delete
  3. I'm quite sure I've grown up on this recipe using breadcrumbs or oatmeal with the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin Harris Farm Special - As a missionary we found the kitchen at the Martin Harris Farm to be our favorite (restaurant), I love Lion house meat loaf but experimented with this variation: I added 1/3 of a green pepper diced to the soup mixture and used 1 1/2 Lbs ground beef plus 8 Hanover pretzel rods crushed to about 1/2" chunks or smaller, reduced the salt and it was great - a real keeper and a great memory of this wonderful place to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I this is my great au t’s recipe. She was the head cook at Lionhouse for 20 years. I promise, she did’nt add any bread product to the meatloaf. Here’s a little funny. When my father asked her why her meatloaf was so good; she said,” I never wash my hands before I mix it.”
    Haha

    ReplyDelete